Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 96 - The Lord looks at the heart

I love that I came across this bible verse in my bible study homework today, especially after yesterday's post!

"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." -1 Samuel 16:7

For me it was a reminder not to veer off of the path I have started. I have been working so hard to develop my character, my soul, and my faith over these last few years and being completely obsessed with my weight will only distract me. I felt like God was reminding me what is most important to Him right now, not what is most important to me. He likes to do that! I know that I need to treat my body like a temple and I need to work on my health, but it should not be my main and only concern right now. I cannot say that living in Orange County helps this, but I need to remember that God is working in me right now, and whatever is most important to Him should be my number one priority too.

It is so easy to feel pressure to look a certain way and to exude a certain appearance. I feel that pressure every morning just dropping my son off at school or going to the store. It's not easy feeling like you don't quite fit the mold or wondering what else you need to do to appear perfect. It's not just the way you dress it's also cosmetic (plastic surgery, teeth whitening, tanning, etc.). I feel like I am constantly walking a fine line on looking my best and wanting to be my best. Am I alone?

What is saving me is that lately I have felt like God is starting to open the curtains for me a little more. I have been able to catch a small glimpse of what He may have in store for me. It looks overwhelming and downright crazy, but I know in my heart He has been slowly building me up to be ready for whatever the full picture is. I need to stay focused on that.

What about you? Have you let your need for outward approval affect your progress on your inward appearance? Or have you learned to balance both? I'm learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment