Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 31 - Speaking to me

I love it when a church sermon feels like it is directed towards me. Today's church was about facing reality with faith. What do you do when life is out of control and you cannot stop worrying? Here are my notes:

-When reality hits you either can have faith or you can worry.
-You have to face reality (the cause of your worry). It may be unexpected problems, overwhelming circumstances, inadequate resources and/or you feel alone (or all of the above).
-Then you have to choose faith. You cannot get rid of anxiety or worry unless you choose the alternative, which is faith.
-How do you choose faith? You have to ask God for help, question your fears, increase your faith and acknowledge that God is in control.
-Your faith grows more with every circumstance.
- You need to live one day at a time. We cannot control the uncontrollable.

I am at a really good place. I am not worrying about the bigger picture. I have faith that God will provide our basic needs so that we can pay rent, get groceries, etc. Even though we have no income except unemployment right now, God has already started to find ways to provide for us. It's amazing. God is amazing. People are amazing. I have never been this calm in a crisis and I have felt this way since Mark got that phone call to say he was being laid off. However, just two blog posts ago you could see that I have been worrying about all of the small stuff. Apparently I have faith in the big picture, but not the small details. This service made me realize that I need to do both and I can do that by asking God for help. He cares about the small stuff too.

I never cease to be amazed.


1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I thought about you during the service yesterday and hoped you were able to hear all of it. It has also given me a new direction to go with my silly worries. I want you to know I read your blog daily and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete