Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 29 - Rest

My days have been busy. Everything feels like a struggle right now. I honestly do not have enough hours in the day to get everything done. I stay up until 1am, sometimes 3am trying to work, take care of family business, write my blogs, start a new business and spend some time with God. Did I also tell you I have 3 kids? Luckily this week I scheduled two play dates, so I was able to chat with friends. I'm right near that point when you know that a crying breakdown will probably happen, but you still have too much to do to heed the warning. I am exhausted. I feel like I spend every minute of every day doing something for someone. The hardest part is that so many of the things I need to do are still undone and I feel like I am failing. All these to-do's brings so much pressure. Pressure to start the new business, pressure to finish projects for my existing clients, to find health insurance, to pay bills, pressure to do simple things like laundry and keep the house clean. I still haven't sent out thank you notes for Christmas. I am overwhelmed just thinking about all of it.

I looked up some old sermon notes about being tired; here was something I wrote down:

Trust when you are tired.
"I have given up all hope and feel numb all over." Psalms 143:4
"Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

It's a fine line that we walk when it comes to being busy and survival. There will always be those times when you have to get a second job or you have to put in more hours so that you can survive. That's why I understand that I need to stay up until 3 am sometimes. But there is also point where you need to accept rest for all of your hard work and understand that it cannot all be done right now. Some things will have to wait, even if it's just a day. I am treading that line right now, not sure what to do with it. But in the verse above it becomes apparent that I need to pray about all my burdens so that God can help find the time to give me rest.

So I am going to write myself a prescription for at least one night away for a few hours of girl time this week, a play date with a friend and a day of rest every Saturday (no work at all).

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    "The Daily Hope" devotional from Rick dated 1/27 addresses this. I read it at the time when I was beginning to feel overwhelmed, just as you are. Let me know if you want it and I will scan and e-mail. In essence is says that "We show our trust in God when we say to him, "Lord, I have so many things on my plate. They are impossible! I can't do them all today, so help me with what's important and what's not important. Help me not to worry about not getting the unimportant things done. Help me focus on what matters most. I need your strength today to do what I need to do today. I have financial, physical and emotional needs and I'm depending on you to help me today....God is going to teach you to trust him one day at a time. He's going to give you enough grace, power, and energy to get through today." And then from Tom's sermon today, the famous verse from Matthew 6:34 TLB, "So don't be anxious about tomorow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time."
    So, advise from your father, pray about what needs to be done today and ask God for help. Do the same tomorrow, and the day after and the day after. He will help you each day.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have finished each of your sentences. Spending time with the Lord may not always take away your burdens but it will equip you to handle them much better emotionally and efficiently. And though nobody likes to have a crying fit, sometimes you need to just let yourself surrender to it. Sometimes it's just the release of the stress that put's it all into focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I better not get middle of the night (from you) emails on Saturday nights now! Love you, fabulous lady!

    ReplyDelete