Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11 - Blessings


One of my favorite things I say is that we have an extra savings account with God. I am always saying "God must have withdrawn from your account" when friends get surprise checks. Whenever you need it the most an extra check shows up in the mail from an old insurance policy you paid too much for. Or you get a refund for $27.95 from a bill that you apparently overpaid. They are always at the perfect time. Sometimes its the generosity of a stranger or a friend. This month God had been withdrawing from our account:

1. My parents offered to pay for our $50 Costco renewal and so we were able to use a $50 gift certificate that we had forgotten about to buy groceries this week. And, as I am writing this I just realized we have another $20 gift card that we had forgotten about for next week's groceries. Cha-ching!

2. We moved mid October but we JUST got a moving packet that we have never received before that has free money to food places nearby. So far we had an entire BBQ dinner and we still have a free pizza, $15 to Pick Up Stix and $20 off at Beachfire...no strings or minimums attached.

3. Mark's sister and mom took the two oldest kids out for the day so we went to a quiet lunch with the baby. We ran into our friend's parents there. Well after they left and when we went to pay for our bill, they had already paid for us.

4. I found $20 in my pocket. I never carry cash.

5. The nice man at Albertsons must have thought I was nice too because he gave me the "Earn Cookware" stamps for the two customers in front of me who didn't want theirs. And so I was able to actually earn cookware.

6. Last night I got an email with $11 in free money from my Toys R Us/Babies R Us Rewards Card. I also had a Merchandise Credit that we had not used. Today I was able to get a huge box of wipes, a birthday gift and a free toy because I bought a certain brand. I didn't pay a cent.

I could go on and on from all the little withdrawals we have had over the last two and half years and always when we needed them the most. There have even been a few times where we got a check with $100 or more. It's my faith that reassures me that these are no coincidence. But it is also my appreciation that sees how special they are. Before I was laid off we were able to buy whatever we wanted, do whatever we wanted and we rarely worried about anything financially. I was probably really excited about the free pizza or extra check but I doubt I saw them as a true blessing. I really do "count my blessings" now.

So today I am thankful for all the blessings that are raining down on me, no matter how small. They may not pay my car payment, but they help feed us, make my kids smile and make me smile! Amazing right! Did I mention that God never depletes your bank account? It's always full and ready for a withdrawal. Sometimes you just need to ask for it.

(I just noticed I was off on my days....it's only been 11 days so I'm not sure how I did that but it's fixed!)

No comments:

Post a Comment