Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 13- How I deal with stress

God, did you hear me? I said I have faith! Why aren't you answering my prayers? In fact, I feel like it is quite the opposite, everything is at a standstill right now. Mark hasn't found any new opportunities, recruiters are not calling and things seem less eventful than they were before.

I am so anxious and I am noticing that I am eating all my stress. Isn't it funny how we find some way to deal with the stress? Sure we might not drink or do drugs, but we can act like an addict in our stress-induced stage. At first it wasn't a big deal, but then after a few days I fully recognized that I am bingeing all day long. I use to shop to try and cope, but money doesn't permit that anymore. So now I eat to deal with the stress, which isn't helping at all. I feel sluggish, bad about the way I look and I feel guilty. Obviously I need to be more aware every time I put something in my mouth. I need to take those opportunities to pray about all the stress I am feeling. I just need to stop and take a deep breath. I use food, what do you use? What gives you that instant gratification when you are surrounded by stress? Is it food, gossip, anger, shopping, alcohol, pills, obsessive behavior? Instead of feeling shameful and guilty, it's better to just admit it and try to get better! Don't hide out in your guilt. I feel extremely guilty right now, but it is a new day and I am ready to tackle my stress in a healthy and conscious way.

I just went through old sermon notes searching for some inspiration on this topic. I came across two separate points from two different dates:

- Trust when you are anxious.
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." Philippians 4:6-7 (Msg)

- Be Patient & Persistent
"These things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day!" Hab. 2:3 (LB)

I think we just need to remember that even if we feel stressed, anxious, guilty, etc., that we do not need to try and make ourselves feel better in unhealthy ways. We need to tackle the situation head on and have enough faith in ourselves to deal with the stress in a better way. I am starting that right now. Otherwise, things will get out of control and don't you already have enough on your plate? I know I do!

1 comment:

  1. I use food too. I also bite my nails. It has been years since I have bitten my nails and I noticed I am nibbling again with the stress of this move and what is to come for us financially in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete