Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 87 - Connection

After writing yesterday's blog post I immediately read a devotional in my inbox that was about Gideon! Do you remember how I told you Gideon was a possible baby name for our son and the meaning behind it? You can re-read that post here. I was feeling pretty low about myself, but this caught my attention! Here are some of sections from the devotional that really spoke to me:
  • Perhaps he hoped to do great things for God when the conditions were right, but, for now, Gideon saw himself as just a guy cranking wheat through a creaky old winepress.
  • Gideon was still stuck in tunnel vision, believing what he thought and what he saw defined the truth. To paraphrase the ancient Hebrew, Gideon told God, “I just don’t have what it takes, Lord. I know you’re perfect, but I think you made a mistake.” (Judges 6:15)
  • It doesn’t matter what Gideon says about himself or what others say about Gideon. Only one opinion counts: God’s.
  • The strength of the Sender (God) is more important than the strength, or perceived weakness, of the one being sent (Gideon).
  • Trust in God’s strength and do what he tells you to do.
In my blog post I said that the name Gideon will always be a part of my son's story, but now I am realizing it is a part of my story too. It moved me over a year ago and it still does now. When I read the devotional I felt like God was directly telling me through Gideon's story, that he is working in my life that same way too. And, while I am having hesitations about my place in this world, He is telling me that I am a warrior even if I don't see it in myself right now and that He has plans for me. God purposely used less than 2 pages from the Bible that I already have a deep connection with, in someone else's devotional, to tell me that everything is going to be okay.

I really needed that.

1 comment: