Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 71 - Asking Him

Thursday night, before I found out about the devastation in Japan, I had written a different post for Friday morning. My post was telling you that I had asked God for a miracle with our finances, something I had never done before because I have always felt like things were happening for a reason. But when I was writing in my prayer journal it just kind of leapt on the page and when I blinked it was there. Of course as soon as I heard about the devastation in Japan, I erased it. I erased it because asking for anything when you see how lucky you are to be safe and alive just feels wrong. At that moment anything I could ever want was tied up in hoping that the images of cars trying to escape the tsunami were not real and that maybe the drivers somehow survived. It really made me feel like any prayers for myself were just greedy, but whether or not I blogged about it, I had already asked God for my own little miracle so I couldn't take it back.

The next morning I checked our messages and there was one from a company Mark had wanted to work for. They have a position open and they wanted to see if he would be interested in interviewing for it. Mark hasn't interviewed yet and I don't know if it will pan out, but I do know there is no such thing as a coincidence. I felt like God was telling me that He still heard my cries for help and my needs still matter.

While asking for our miracle I found this bible verse:

So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. -Hebrews 4:16

I think it is one of the most beautiful verses I have come across, it literally sings to me. I feel like God wants us to keep things in perspective, to see how precious life is every day. That is so easy to see in something so devastating and in such large proportions as what happened in Japan. But I also feel like if we know in our hearts how precious life is, that God will still want to hear our sorrows and our needs. It isn't being greedy if it comes from a pure heart. I see friends who are in a hard place and people constantly tell them that it could be worse and they should feel lucky that their family is healthy, so they feel guilty wanting things. But I think God wants to hear everything, He already knows that you are grateful for what you have. It doesn't make your needs any less important.

That's just the feeling I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment