Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 264 - I've let go

I know I have mentioned this before but one of the things that I have really had to let go of is what we eat. I used to try new recipes all of the time and in general our meals were really healthy. I would meal plan at the beginning of the week and I had the luxury of going to the grocery store whenever I wanted to and I could buy anything that I needed. I never saw this as a luxury though. Following recipes does not exist in our life right now. I simply cannot stop in at the grocery store to pick up certain vegetables or spices. Following a recipe can be expensive and we don't have any grocery money. Unless it is a meal that requires five items that I already have, we don't make it. We eat frozen food or pre-prepared food, a lot of pasta and a lot of fresh fruit from Costco. We try our best to give the kids balanced meals with what we have and we are so fortunate to have as much food as we do and that people have provided all of it for us. We are able to go to Costco and fill up a basket with so many wonderful things! I am not complaining one bit because we have been so blessed. I also think it has opened my eyes to this culture where the mom who makes the best meals and does the most awesome stuff wins. I was a part of that culture, I tried to be that mom, but I simply have no choice now and I am okay with it. I salute moms who create a healthy lifestyle and cook for their family every night, however I no longer glance at the mom who treats it as a competition, which may have been me a year ago. My kids are healthy, we have made it work and life has gone on just as it did before.

So here is what I am trying to say; first, when you go to the grocery store and fill up your cart with food for your family thank God for the bounty that you have and the money that He has provided. That shopping list is a blessing. It is a luxury. There are people in our same situation who have not been carried through by others like we have. I don't know how they feed their family; honestly I cannot afford food on my own. Secondly, do the best that you can. Cooking and feeding your family is so important. Good, healthy and fresh foods are key, but it should be done with love and joy. If cooking is your passion, then enjoy what you love! If not, do not feel the need to be the best all the time. You do not need to compete with other moms or dads. Find what works best for you and your family (and I mean this in every category, not just cooking). Getting into the grove of your own life and who God intended you to be is like a breath of fresh air. And, when times are tough, it's okay to let go, even of things you were passionate about. It does not define you and when times are right again, you will make it back and probably with a lot more thankfulness and a new impression.


2 comments:

  1. Awe...this made me a little teary eyed...because I do take for granted what I put in my cart. Tonight when I go shopping, I won't! Thanks Amanda! I am passing your blog onto a friend who's husband has been out of work for a few months now and I know she can pull from your wisdom and strength! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We wonder why as a society we are a getting bigger. Could it be that that is what most Americans can afford now? You can eat more cheaply when it is unhealthier for you. It is incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete