Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 245 - Lessons and necessities

Lately I have been thinking about all of the little lessons we have learned over the last year or so. I know that our journey has been especially good for the kids, at least in my eyes. Little things like sharing a room, or using their own money to decide if they want an ice cream cone or McDonalds as a treat, or not crying when they don't get what others have. They have rolled with the punches the whole way. They are amazing. I wouldn't trade the lessons they have learned, or I have learned as a parent, for anything. Yesterday at the grocery store a woman commented on my three children and I blurted out, "I am so lucky." She agreed and at that moment I realized that I love being a mom more than ever and I love that even in hard times I can still positively shape their future for them and in ways I never would have done before. I am a better mom because of our circumstances, it has forced me to grow up, have grace, be thankful for what we do have and know what is truly important for their future. And my kids, I think they have more love and excitement about the world than ever before. Or perhaps they are just more resilient than I ever would have given them credit for, either way it makes me so proud.

Another lesson that has hit me hard is understanding what a necessity is. I use to make long weekly lists to Target that had everything we needed for the week. Looking back I can't help but wonder where all that stuff is, what did I do with it all? It's crazy what I thought a necessity was and to be honest I don't think any of it would shock you or be totally off cuff of what you might buy for your family. Right now, a necessity is something we absolutely have to use the few dollars we have on. It's not items for a wonderful recipe I want to make, or a new jar of jelly because we didn't like the last one, or that new toothpaste I want to try, or a new shirt for one of the kids. A necessity is a jug of milk for the baby or a toothbrush for one of the kids because the old one isn't usable and we don't have any extras lying around. It's toilet paper, laundry detergent, stamps to pay bills, and gas in our cars. It has to be worth taking away money from something else. Right now our car is dirty, only one kid gets a hair cut and Mark and I wouldn't dream of buying ourselves clothing. And all of that is okay because we know what is important. What a humbling lesson to learn. It makes us even more thankful for the gift cards and help we have received because they go towards what we really need first. Anything extra is just icing on the cake and we enjoy those fun moments and items more than ever. I never would have understood that before! I took the availability of money for granted.

Every experience in life has a lesson or two and they usually come from what we would perceive as something to be sad or upset about. But if we take away the "poor me" and embrace the situation we can grow and change like we never could have imagined. I can't wait to look back in the rearview mirror and see all the ways our life changed for the better and how it all molds me into the woman I will be and the family we will be for the rest of our lives. Embrace your journey because God has a plan for you. Let the lessons shape you and don't be afraid of the change that surrounds you.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)


 

1 comment:

  1. SO beautiful and well said, my friend! I couldn't agree with you more! I think that so many times, we as parents (and our surrounding society), set our kids' expectations and definitions of a "treat." Who ever said it needed to be some extravagant "something?" To me (and I know you, too), teaching our kids to embrace the "simple things" in life is a "treat" all in itself! You and Mark are raising three AMAZING, grounded kids! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete