Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 242 - It's okay to let go

This may sound silly, but I never would have imagined that I could live so easily without television. Awhile back we had to change our bill to basic cable because we could no longer afford all of the bells and whistles like a million channels and a DVR. I use to put all my shows on the DVR and watch them as soon as I could, but it took up a lot of time that could have been used somewhere else. I would have told you there was no way I could live without all of it, but here I am living just great and I don't miss any of it at all. We do have Netflix instant streaming so my kids can watch all kinds of show or movies when they want to. So easy and manageable.

I remember when I forced myself to stop watching the Housewives Shows and The Jersey Shore. They were both filled with so much garbage and ridiculousness. When did it become popular to watch people's lives come undone? Since when do people become famous for being greedy, mean and immoral? I know they are popular and I get the appeal, but those shows are just sad. That's not the kind of world I want my kids to grow up in. My hubby still watched them after I had stopped and I have to tell you that not having them in my home anymore is really nice. With no cable I can't be tempted to watch them even if I wanted to. In fact I can't watch any trashy television in my home. What a secret blessing to not have to worry about it anymore.

Why am I telling you all of this? There was a day where I thought I could never give up my beloved TV and DVR. I really thought that I loved some of my shows, but I'm doing great without them. Are there things in your life that are wasting your time that you want or need to give up but you are too afraid? Is there something standing in the way of you having more time with your family? I am here to tell you that you will be fine; you will survive! I did. And, in my heart I knew it was the right thing to do and my family will be better for it in the long run. We will never be as obsessed with the television as were, ever again. This is just another example of something that seemed unfair at first, but is really a blessing in our big mess.

"Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth." -Colossians 3:2 (NLT)



No comments:

Post a Comment