Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 193 - Not perfect

I used to read this one particular blog every day. I was intrigued about the incredible story that was laid out daily and how this blogger was transforming through so much devastation. And then one day I stopped. Their story was far from over but I just couldn't relate anymore. In my mind, even though I knew they were struggling, their life seemed too perfect. The family was perfect, the house was perfect, the kids were perfect, the crafts were perfect and even their meals were perfect. So I stopped reading. All of that perfectness made me feel bad about a lot of things in my own life. It's hard to try and keep up isn't it?

Social media is such a funny thing. We see what other people want us to see; yet we rarely get to see how it really is. When I started this blog one of my main goals was to make sure I stayed authentic with my readers. Sure we all know my situation isn't perfect, but do you know what is even less than perfect than my situation? Me. This blog has developed into so much more then learning to live with faith, it has transformed me and opened my eyes to all of the things I need to work on in myself. And it's a slow process, that's for sure. I am stubborn, I have a temper, I give into food temptations, I am selfish, I fight with my husband a lot, I make mistakes, I gossip and I sin. That's just the first few bullet points off of a long list. But, because of my choice to try and live a life of faith and of joy, I am trying to change as much as I can. It's hard work and some days I fail on all levels, but then there are days where I practice what I have learned and I feel my heart open up a little bit more and I feel proud of the barriers I am breaking. The bad days, well I recognize them and then give myself a break and try again tomorrow. It's a battle, but for me it's a rewarding one. (And if I have ever made you feel like I was appearing to be perfect, I apologize and please keep me in check for the future).

So today I just want to say two things. First, you know that person on Facebook or at work that has a bright and shiny life that makes you feel jealous or bad about yourself? Well, a shiny appearance does not convey what is on the inside or what really happens when no one is looking. Remember that. Secondly, being authentic with others and sharing the real you will buy you much more happiness and security than having a perceived perfect life. It opens friendships and hearts and I have experienced those gifts more then ever over these last seven months. Also, being authentic with yourself and being truthful about your decisions and your own actions can lead to a new path of self discovery and acceptance within yourself.

"When you know the truth, the truth will set you free." -John 8:32

No comments:

Post a Comment