Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 33 - A new chapter in our story

It's amazing that Mark was laid off two months ago, and even with A LOT of help from friends and family, he has not found a job. I guess amazing isn't really the right word because we knew how hard it would be. I haven't had any luck over the last few years, but I haven't been actively looking. But for Mark we had decent leads from the beginning and because he is in a specialized field we really thought he would find something by now. What's worse it that there is nothing going on. No recruiters calling, no new job opportunities, it's pretty silent. Okay it's eerie!

February 1st was the day that Mark and I had declared as our personal cutoff date. We said that if he had not found a job by then (hello it was yesterday!) that we would move forward in doing something ourselves. I know I have mentioned this a little bit already. Of course, Mark and I started things moving before our cutoff day because we had a feeling that nothing was going to happen and we both hate just waiting for things.

Did you know that my dad is in the same kind of sales as Mark is? In fact that is how Mark made the transition into the industry. While growing up my dad owned his own company and when I went to college he sold it and went to work for the company that purchased it. Can you believe that through some conversations we realized that we could in fact use my dad's company name and kind of re-start his business? So I am currently in the process of setting up a business that already means the world to me, a business that is close to my heart. I can't explain how sentimental that is to me.

So that is where we are right now. We are just moving forward. It's really scary because we know that this company will not be able to provide us any income for at least 6 months and probably much longer. We have already cut back on bills a number of times and we keep getting larger monthly expenses like insurance and such. But, I have faith that we can make it work, Mark already has the wheels in motion for some side work. I have faith that this is in fact part of the plan. After all, we never would have done this on our own, but Mark losing his job gave us the push. God is providing us something that was stable and true throughout my entire childhood. My heart tells me that this is exactly where we are supposed to be. It can't explain how overwhelming it is, but I know we can do it. I have faith in my husband, myself, the guidance of my father and the help from Mark's colleagues.

Welcome to a new chapter of our lives....

1 comment: