Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 297 - Life changers

As I have said over and over, our friends and family have carried us through this mess, financially and emotionally. Before this year is over I will write a more detailed post with specific accounts of the ways we were helped because I think it's a testament of friendship, love, selflessness, and God's perfect timing. But for today I just want to explain how my life has changed because of it.

When people needed my help prior, I was happy to do it, especially if you were my friend. Things like providing a meal when you have a baby, passing on gently used clothing, helping with some design work, or maybe just doing a simple favor were things I would normally offer. I feel like I had a giving heart, but it definitely wasn't the same. It wasn't as genuine as it is now. I just feel different. Now my heart offers help before I can even think about it. Now my heart aches differently for people who need blessings. Now I want to help, even if it's inconvenient. I think most of my change is because people did so much for us that it literally made me weep out loud continuously and it would bring me to my knees. Why did friends, family and even strangers care about us so much that they give up their needs to meet ours? And, not for little things but for big things too? I just couldn't fathom it at times and it's still happening even as our road is improving. People are really, truly good.

I can say now that I have experienced true gratitude. I am beyond thankful for what people gave us because they literally helped us keep a roof over our heads, gave us necessities, and helped feed our children. My heart evolved, it grew character, and it became wiser. Now I feel obligated (in a great way) to bless other people. My outlook has changed. If I don't have time on my calendar to help, then I will find time. If someone needs a meal, I will provide one. If we have no money to assist, I will offer my time. There will always be someone around me who can use my help. I will strive to be a nicer and more giving person because of every person who loved us enough to help us. As I am now helping others with a pure heart, I get back peace, joy, love, and so much more happiness throughout my day. I let the small stuff go, I rarely feel annoyed when a stranger imposes on me, and I want to be out in the world doing things. I feel like a whole new person.

It's amazing how other people's generosity changed my life forever. Every big or simple act made a major difference and I will dedicate my life to blessing others.... because of all of you. You made me a better person.

Make today the day that you reach out to others more than you have before. Give directions to a stranger, make meals, offer to watch someone's kids, give financial support, join that ministry, send little luxuries, or email words of love. It's going to take some practice for me, but we can do it together and when we put more love out to the world, we get more back. Our little world could use a lot more love right now.


"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." -Colossians 3:12 (NIV)




No comments:

Post a Comment