Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 286 - On my mind

I think we need to tell ourselves that we cannot do it all and be okay when things don't go our way.

I have wanted to join Moms In Touch for about a year now. Moms In Touch is about praying with other moms at your children's school for the children, their teachers, and administrators. Usually it's a bit harder to do if you have younger children who are not school-aged. In most cases you would need to find childcare for them, but it has been in my heart to reach out and see how the group at our school will form. I found out yesterday that in fact they will try and work around having younger kids there, but they are meeting on the same morning that I have MOPS. While I was disappointed, I am fully aware that maybe there is a reason it's not going to work out for me this year, or at least right now. I have to move past it, I cannot do everything. While I am typing this I am reflecting on a situation earlier this year at our new school where I wanted to have a parent leadership role and an unfortunate situation occurred. I was pretty upset and even sent an email to the founder of the school, but now looking at it from this vantage point I am once again seeing that maybe it's for a reason too, I cannot do it all. I think I am finally learning to accept this and be okay with it, because I have learned this year that it's all in God's hands and that I need to stay on the path for my journey. I have found some inspiration from different church service notes that make me feel better about this.

Simplify my life, don't do too much.
Focus on the long-term not the short term.
Remind myself that God is in control.
Change requires making choices.

On that note, and somewhat related, I have gone through a huge attitude change this year. I have realized that I no longer need to change my family's values to match someone else's. This theme has been reoccurring all year long in many different circumstances. Obviously I want to be respectful and accommodating towards other people's choices, but in the end I want to establish our own rules and beliefs and not be afraid to stick by them. I will no longer allow other people to sway me into making choices based on what they believe, instead I am going to listen to other viewpoints and decide what I want to do in a situation. I will stick to what I know is in my heart and be open to making changes that I feel are in my best interest and pray about them. I have so many amazing and empowering women in my life, but if I spent my time trying to make them all happy or trying to conform to what they believe, then I would just get lost in who I really am.

Run God's race for me, not others' race.


A life of faith is constantly loving, growing, changing, making mistakes and learning from them, and being authentic with others. It's certainly not easy.

When others share what God is teaching them, I learn too.
"I want us to help each other with the faith we have. Your faith will help me, and my faith will help you." -James 5:16 (Msg)


I love that the first thought used "share" instead of pressure and that the bible verse talks about how each person's faith helps the other. It's not one-sided.

I still have so much to learn about growing into myself, my faith, and in my relationships with others, but I feel like my eyes are wide open to seeing how to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment