Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 122 - Godly Family

So far I have made My Year of Faith mostly about me. Sure, I talk about my husband finding a job or the things I want for my family, but in general this blog is a personal account of my struggles, lessons, triumphs and heart aches from and with faith. Here is what I am thinking about now, how all of my changes are affecting my children. We are doing a series at church called Raising Amazing Kids and today was all about laying a spiritual foundation for your children (at any age). Just the words "Godly Family" had a huge impact on me today. What a powerful choice to make. I have noticed that in these 122 days my kids and I have a sweet and much stronger spiritual connection. They absolutely love church (the baby not so much but he will get there I'm sure), they say the sweetest prayers, I pray with them nightly, they ask me questions, they pray for others on their own, they sing with me to my favorite church band, and they are interested in the things they are learning in Sunday school. Not to say that none of this was happening before, but to see it all blossom in huge blooms of spiritual love is amazing.

I want my kids to be able to survive this crazy world on their own someday. I cannot count the days that I have, so I want to make sure that I provide the foundation that they need. Perhaps it is my greatest responsibility as a parent (my parents did it for me). The only way to do that is to keep going to church, teach them through my actions, keep them balanced and to keep teaching them what I know. And, as I grow, they will grow too. We will grow as a Godly Family.

Just a side note, my hubby whom I love is Catholic. We both love and respect each other's beliefs, but we share some differences in the spiritual department not only secularly but also personally. We have different churches and that is just the way it is. I have been taking the kids to my church by myself for quite awhile now. No big deal for us, Mark is super supportive and has even been going with me lately. I leave that up to him. Don't be afraid to take your kids to church by yourself and certainly don't use that as an excuse not to go. I feel just as much joy and blessings when I take them alone.

Wishing you a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment